1. Clos Du Val in the Stags Leap District offers a pleasant picnic area not far from Napa. It’s far off the highway in a shaded area. www.closduval.com (707) 261-5200.
2. Cuvaison Estate Wines in Calistoga has a picnic area that’s not too far off the Silverado Trail, but still offering a nice experience. www.cuvaison.com (707) 942-6266. Cuvaison in Carneros can't host picnics.
3. Hall Winery has impressive features, including a second story tasting room overlooking vineyards, impressive art, open views of the wine production and the restored old stone winery, and they do allow picnics. 401 St. Helena Highway South St. Helena www.hallwines.com (707) 967-2626.
4. Menage a Trois and Napa Cellars, which share a winery and the unique geodesic tasting room in Oakville, have a pleasant picnic area under the trees. They offer especially good picnic wines too. www.folieadeux.com 800-535-6400.
5. Frank Family Vineyards in Calistoga is one of the premier picnic location on the valley floor. You can taste at the new tasting room in a restored farm house and then enjoy your picnic at one of the tables on the well-tended ground. www.frankfamilyvineyards.com 707-942-0859
6. Louis M. Martini Winery in St. Helena. At the historic Martini winery, the picnic grounds are in a pleasant enclosed, shaded area behind the winery. The wines include some only found at the winery including rosé and Amabile Moscato. www.louismartini.com (707) 963-2736
7. Chappellet Winery is another gorgeous spot in St. Helena with breathtaking views perfect for picnicking, though you must bring in your own meal. chappellet.com (707) 286-4219
9. Rutherford Hill Winery has perhaps the top picnic destination in Napa Valley, and yes, that “top” is a double meaning. The picnic tables lie high above the valley floor and they are so popular that they charge to use them, but the cost includes wine. Be sure to call ahead. www.rutherfordhill.com (707) 963-1871
10. V. Sattui Winery in St. Helena is in a class by itself. One of the only wineries to have a deli onsite, the winery requires you to purchase food and wine there if you want to enjoy the pleasant picnic grounds. www.vsattui.com (707) 963-7774.